Thanks for rating our content!
[Total: 22 Average: 4.4]

B1 B2 Visa and DS160 form – the USA ESTA alternative

Apply for a B2 Visa


What is B1 B2 Visa and when do i need to fill out a DS 160?

B1 and B2 are traditional non-immigration visas with which citizens of certain countries can obtain an entry permit for the USA. The use is for tourist and business stays in the United States. For many countries it is now possible to participate electronically in the Visa Waiver Program, tourists and business travellers can apply for a so-called ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) – but citizens of some countries still have to apply for a traditional visa. There are many differences between a B1B2 visa and an ESTA. Especially the way of applying for a B1 B2 visa differs considerably, since the ESTA was introduced with the aim of simplifying visa applications, it is reasonable to assume that applying for a B1 B2 visa is considerably more complicated and time-consuming. However, applying for a B1 B2 visa can also be interesting for citizens of VWP (Visa Waiver Program) countries. For example, if no electronic passport is available or the specifications of the ESTA (maximum length of stay etc.) are not sufficient, a B1 B2 visa can make sense. On this page you will learn everything you need to know about the B1 B2 visa and the application form DS 160.

USA visa application

Most important facts about B1/B2 and DS160

Unlike the ESTA, the B1 and B2 visas cannot be applied for completely online. An application must be completed and submitted for approval, followed by a visit to a U.S. mission and an interview. In addition, processing fees may apply in some cases, and the period of validity may also vary. Fees and validity depend on the applicant’s country of origin. Enclosed you see a world map showing how long a B1 /B2 visa is valid for citizens of certain countries. The current processing fee for a B1/B2 (non-immigration visa) is currently 160 USD (Please note: The data refer to the validity on 30.05.2018, changes are possible and we cannot guarantee that the B1 / B2 visa fees are accurate and up-to-date at all times – more information on US visa fees at US authority’s website). Applying for a B1 /B2 visa can usually take several weeks, as different appointments have to be made and longer processing times are to be expected. You will find a more accurate overview of the processing time further down this page.

  • Stay up to 6 months at a time
  • Application process can take up to several weeks

  • Valid for several years (up to 10)

  • 160 USD procession fee

Duration of validity by country of citizenship

Validity of B1/B2 Visa by Country

B1 Business Visa for USA

B-1 Business Visa is a non-immigrant visa for temporary visitors to the USA coming for business reasons. An immigrant visa is for a permanent stay in the USA. A business visa, generally known as a visitor visa, is valid for a few months or up to one year, depending on whether the applicant is issued an entry or multiple entry visa.

The B-1 business visa is for people temporarily entering the United States to conduct business activities such as a meeting, conference, consultation and negotiation. They cannot work while in the USA, nor can they be paid from a source in the USA. People who want to work in the USA must enter for work visas such as H-1, H-2, L-1 or other visas. People who enter the USA for pleasure, tourism or medical treatment require a B-2 tourist visa.
Dependants holding a B-1 visa must qualify for a B visa on their own. There are limited cases where a B-1 visa can be used instead of an H-1B visa. This only applies if the beneficiary enters the USA as an employee of a foreign legal entity in order to offer services in the USA. This person must be paid by the foreign employer and may only receive expense allowances or other reimbursements from a US legal entity for expenses incurred during their temporary stay in the USA.

To obtain a B-1 business visa, an error-free application must be carefully prepared. The application can be approved immediately, but it can take a few days or weeks until the visa is received. The visa will give you permission to appear in a port of entry. A CBP official will determine the duration of your time in the USA and the date will be stamped on your I-94 card, which will be entered in your passport. You must leave the United States on or before this date.

Apply for a B1 Visa

B-2 Tourist Visa for USA

Family travelling to the U.S.People who enter the USA need a visa first. A visa allows the visa holder to travel to a port of entry in the United States and to apply for immigration permits. The visa may be a non-immigrant visa if the person intends to stay temporarily in the United States. An immigrant visa is for people who plan to live and work permanently in the United States.

The B-2 tourist visa is a non-immigrant visa for people traveling to the United States for pleasure or medical treatment. The B-2 visa is generally referred to as a tourist visa. Persons wishing to enter the USA temporarily for business purposes require the B-1 Business Visa.

People with a B-2 visa are not allowed to study or work during their stay in the USA. In certain cases, holders of a tourist visa may participate in courses that are not credit-based. These courses should not exceed 18 hours per week. An example would be a tourist attending a yoga class for a few days while staying for purely tourist purposes; no credits are gained and learning was for recreation.

However, it is always advisable to ask the consulate and the school whether the visa can be used for such studies. Persons who travel to the USA to attend courses or conferences and seminars to obtain credits for study require a student visa.


Apply for a B2 Visa


The DS160 Form – The Official Application Form for B1 and B2 Visa


The DS-160, online application form for nonimmigrant visas, is for temporary travel to the United States and for K (fiancé(e)) Visas. The DS-160 form is sent electronically via the Internet to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Consular officers use the information entered on the DS-160 to process the visa application and, in conjunction with a personal interview, to identify an applicant’s eligibility for a non-immigrant visa.

Visa applicants must submit a completed DS-160, online nonimmigrant visa application for all categories of nonimmigrant visas, including applicants applying for a K visa. (Note: For K visa cases pending at a U.S. embassy or consulate before October 7, 2013, please read the limited exceptions outlined in the following FAQs.)

Read the Frequently Asked Questions for instructions on using the DS-160.

Important note for visa applicants: Once you have completed the DS-160, you must perform the following steps:

  • Print and keep the DS-160 barcode page. (You do not have to print out the complete application.)
  • You need to make an appointment for a visa interview. (The U.S. Embassy or Consulate will not schedule an appointment for you.) Visit the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for country-specific instructions
  • Pay the processing fee for the visa application. Read the country-specific instructions on the website of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Be sure to answer all questions about the DS-160 accurately and completely, otherwise you will have to correct your application and postpone the date for the visa interview.

Submitting your DS-160 online application electronically is only the first step in the visa application process. Once you have submitted your DS-160 online application electronically, you must contact the embassy or consulate where you wish to apply to confirm whether you need to be interviewed by a consular officer and to arrange an interview. Here you will find a list of US embassies and consulates with links to their websites where you can find information on how to make an appointment for a visa interview. If the embassy or consulate where you are applying informs you that you need to have a visa interview, the visa application process cannot be completed until you appear for a conversation with a consular officer.

Photo Requirements for DS 160 Form

Important: As of November 1, 2016, the glasses will no longer be allowed on visa photos.

Your photo is an important part of your visa application. To learn more, read the following information on how to provide a suitable photo. Digital photos are required for some visa categories, while photos are required for other visa categories. Acceptance of your digital image or photo is at the discretion of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to which you are applying.

We recommend that you use a professional visa photo service to ensure that your photo meets all requirements.

Your photos or digital images should be:

  • In color

  • The size of the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inch (22 mm and 35 mm) or 50% and 69% of the total height of the image from the underside of the chin to the top of the head.

  • Recorded in the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance.

  • Taken against a plain white or cream background

  • Recorded in full screen directly in front of the camera

  • With neutral expression and open eyes

  • In clothes you normally wear every day.

  • Uniforms should not be worn in the photo, except religious clothing, which is worn daily.

  • Do not wear a hat or headgear that covers your hair or hairline unless worn daily for religious purposes. Your whole face must be visible and the headgear must not cast shadows on your face.

  • Headphones, wireless hands-free kits or the like are not allowed in your photo.

  • Since 1 November 2016, glasses are no longer permitted on new visa photographs, except in rare cases where the glasses cannot be removed for medical reasons, e.g. if the applicant has recently had eye surgery and the glasses are necessary to protect the applicant’s eyes. In these cases, a medical certificate signed by a medical professional/health practitioner must be presented. If the glasses are accepted for medical reasons:

      • The frames must not cover the eyes.

      • There must be no glare on the glasses that covers the eye or eyes.

      • There must be no shadows or refractions in the glasses that cover the eye or eyes.

  • If you normally wear a hearing aid or similar items, these can be worn on your photo.

Photos copied from driving licences or other official documents or digitally scanned are not permitted. In addition, snapshots, magazine photos, photos from vending machines or low quality mobile phones and full-length photos are not acceptable.

Additional requirements for nonimmigrant visas

Applicant with Form DS-160 or Form DS-1648

If you apply for a non-immigrant visa by completing the DS-160 or DS-1648 online form, the form will instruct you to upload your digital image as part of the online visa application form.

Some embassies and consulates require visa applicants to bring one (1) photo that meets the requirements. Read the instructions from the embassy or consulate where you will apply to learn more.

Do you want to take the picture yourself?

We recommend that you use a professional visa photo service to ensure that your photo meets all requirements, but you can take the photo yourself. Photos may not be digitally edited or modified to alter their appearance in any way.

Use the free photo tool of the State Department to:

You can download the free photo tool of the State Department on this website. Click on the text link “Crop your photo to the right size using our Photo Tool.” on the right side of the page.

This tool requires Adobe Flash Player 10 or higher.

  • Select a digital image stored on your computer.
  • Change size and rotate if necessary
  • to a square image of exactly 600 x 600 pixels and
  • save it on your computer for printing

Taking pictures of your baby or toddler

When you take a picture of your baby or toddler, there should be no other person in the photo, and your child should look into the camera with their eyes open.

Tip 1:

Place your baby on his back on a plain white or cream cloth. This ensures that your baby’s head is supported and a simple background for the photo is created. Make sure there are no shadows on your baby’s face, especially if you take a picture from above while the baby is lying down.

Tip 2:

Cover a car seat with a white or cream cloth and take a picture of your child on the car seat. This also supports your baby’s head.

Change of appearance

If your photo or digital image does not match your current appearance, even if it is not older than 6 months, the US Embassy or Consulate will ask you to submit a new photo with your application.

Applicants are asked to receive a new photo when they have it:

  • undergo significant facial surgery or trauma
  • Add or remove numerous/large facial piercings or tattoos
  • to cope with a significant weight loss or gain.
  • sex reversal

If you can still be identified from the photo in your visa application, you do not usually need to submit a new photo. For example, growing a beard or coloring your hair would not generally be considered a significant change in appearance.

If your child’s appearance has changed during the normal aging process, he or she does not usually need to provide a new photo. However, acceptance of your photo or digital image is at the discretion of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to which you are applying.

The Application Process for B1 and B2

The process of applying for a B1 / B2 visa can be divided into several steps which are explained below.


Online application using the DS160 form (usually 1 day)
This will take a few hours to a few days. Although it is a simple form, you must compile information from various sources, such as your passport, previous work, etc. Depending on whether all documents and information are available, this step of visa procurement may take longer than one day.


Payment of the fee (usually 1 day)
The fees for a B1/B2 visa must be transferred. As things stand at present, there is no direct online payment available, so a bank must be visited.


Make an appointment with the authority (1 – 2 weeks)
Once you have paid the fees, you can arrange the visa interview online. Although you can select appointments online from a calendar, you can usually only plan one or two weeks in advance. In the worst case, the appointment can take several weeks.


Participation in the interview (1 or 2 days)
Once an interview date has been set, visit the consulate/office in charge and take part in the interview. Sometimes you will need to provide additional information and evidence, including after your visit, and the whole process will be extended. Unfortunately, such additional requirements cannot be announced in advance, as some of them will only become necessary during the discussion. However, if you did everything right when submitting the form and provided all the information correctly, your interview should be completed in one day.


Stamp the visa on the passport ( 1 – 4 weeks)
The duration of this step is most uncertain. It takes either a week or a few weeks to get your passport.


There are more than 20 types of nonimmigrant visas for people traveling temporarily to the United States. There are many other types of immigration visas for those who live permanently in the United States. The type of visa you need depends on the purpose of your planned trip. For an overview of visa types, see the following overview .

Please use the illustrated guide below to learn how to read your new non-immigrant visa (for travel to the USA as a temporary visitor). Also, once you have received the visa, check that the information printed on the visa is correct (see below). If any of the information on your visa does not match or is incorrect with the information in your passport, please contact the Non-Immigrant Visa Section at the embassy or consulate that issued your visa.

A visa must be valid at the time a traveler applies to enter the United States, but the expiration date of the visa (period of validity/use of the visa) has nothing to do with the duration for which a temporary visitor can be authorized by the Department of Homeland Security to remain in the United States. Persons holding a multiple-entry visa may travel repeatedly to the United States as long as the visa has not expired and the traveler has done nothing to become unfit to enter the United States of America.

No. If your visa is still valid, you can travel to the United States with your two passports as long as the visa is valid and undamaged and the appropriate type of visa is required for your primary purpose of travel. (Example: Tourist visa if your main purpose of the trip is tourism). Both passports (the valid one and the expired one with the visa) should be from the same country and type (example: both Uruguayan regular passports, both official passports, etc.). When you arrive at the US port of entry (POE, usually an airport or land border), the customs and border guard will check your visa in the old passport and if he decides to admit you to the United States, he will stamp your new passport with an entry stamp and the note “VIOPP” (visa in another passport). Do not attempt to remove the visa from your old passport and insert it into the new valid passport. If you do so, your visa is no longer valid.

No. If the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection Immigration Officer at the port of entry has admitted you to the United States for a certain period of time, he will note your authorized period of stay on your I-94 entry stamp or paper form, called the Arrival/Exit Protocol. You may remain in the United States during your authorized stay, even if your visa expires during your stay in the United States. Since your entry stamp or paper form I-94 documents your authorized stay and the official record of your permission to reside in the United States, it is very important that you keep your passport.

Burroughs visas are tourist / business visas that were manually stamped into the passport and were valid for ten years. With effect from April 1, 2004, all Burroughs visas became invalid. So if you have a permanent visa, you will need to apply for a new visa to enter the United States.

If your name has changed in law due to marriage, divorce or a court order to change your name, you must apply for a new passport. Once you have a new passport, the State Department recommends that you apply for a new US visa to facilitate your entry into and out of the United States.

Some visa applications require further administrative processing, which takes additional time after the visa applicant has been interviewed by a consular officer. Applicants will be informed of this requirement when applying. Most administrative matters are dealt with within 60 days of the visa interview.

The fee you paid is a registration fee. Anyone applying for a US visa anywhere in the world must pay this fee, which covers the cost of processing your application. This fee is non-refundable, regardless of whether you have received a visa or not, as your application has been processed until completion. For example, if your application has been rejected under Section 214(b) and you choose to apply for a visa again, whether you are applying at the same embassy or elsewhere, you must pay the visa application processing fee.

Yes, you must go through the entire process every time you want to apply for a visa, even if your visa is still valid. There are some situations in which a visa applicant does not need to be questioned when extending his visa. For more information, visit the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website.

A visa does not guarantee entry to the United States. A visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to the U.S. port of entry and the Department of Homeland Security U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) immigration inspector approves or denies entry to the United States.

A visa does not guarantee entry to the United States, but allows a foreign citizen from abroad to travel to the port of entry in the United States (usually an airport or land border) and to apply for entry to the United States. The Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has the authority to allow or deny entry to the United States and to determine how long a traveler may stay. At the port of entry, the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration Inspector will provide you with an entry stamp or paper form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record in your passport upon entry into the United States. On this approval stamp or paper form, the US Immigration Inspector will note either a date or “D/S” (duration of status). If your I-94 contains a specific date, this is the date by which you must leave the United States. Your I-94 entry stamp or paper form is very important to keep in your passport as it shows your permission to be in the United States.

If your passport is lost or stolen with your entry stamp or paper form I-94, you must have it replaced immediately. There are a number of steps you need to take to learn more, see Lost and stolen passports, visas and Form I-94s.

If your visa has been damaged in any way, you must apply for a new visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.
United States citizen

With few exceptions, a person born in the United States acquires American citizenship at birth. A state issued birth certificate serves as proof of citizenship.
Persons born in countries other than the United States may be entitled to American citizenship if one of their parents is a US citizen under US law.
If a person is a US citizen, they are not entitled to a visa.Any potential applicant who believes they are entitled to US citizenship should be assessed (officially determined) by a consular officer at a US embassy or consulate before applying for a US visa.

All US citizens, including dual nationals, must enter and leave the United States with their US passports.

Contact the State Department, U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad with questions regarding U.S. visas, including visa application, visa processing status, and visa denial requests.Once in the United States, the traveler falls under the authority (jurisdiction) of the Department of Homeland Security. The Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is responsible for approving all petitions, approving work permits in the United States, issuing residence extensions, and changing or adjusting the status of an applicant while in the United States.

DS 160 Form FAQ

You can start the DS-160 form on this website run by the U.S. Department of State

Department of State recommends that you use Internet Explorer or Firefox to acces the application form.

You should have the following documents available while filling out your DS-160:

  • Passport
  • Itinerary if you have already made travel preparations.
  • Dates of your last five visits or trips to the United States if you have previously travelled to the United States. You may also be asked about your international travel history over the past five years.
  • Curriculum vitae – You may be asked to provide information about your current and previous education and career.
  • Additional information – Some applicants may be asked for additional information depending on the intended use of the DS-160. Some applicants must have additional information and documents at hand while filling out the DS-160
  • Students and exchange visitors (F, J and M): You will be asked to provide your SEVIS ID printed on your I-20 or DS-2019, so you should have this form available when filling out your DS-160. You will also be asked to provide the address of the school/programme at which you wish to study. This information should also appear on your I-20 or DS-2019 form.
  • Petition-based temporary workers (H-1B, H-2, H-3, CW1, L, O, P, R, E2C): You should have a copy of your I-129 available when you complete your DS-160.
  • Other Temps: You will be asked for information about your employer, including the employer’s address, while you fill out your DS-160.

No. All answers must be in English unless you are asked to give your full name in your alphabet. Applications submitted in a language other than English will be rejected and you may be required to submit a new application.
While you need to answer all questions in English, translations of questions are available in many languages via the drop-down menu in the upper right corner of the application. These translations should help you to fill out the form in English.

No. If the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection Immigration Officer at the port of entry has admitted you to the United States for a certain period of time, he will note your authorized period of stay on your I-94 entry stamp or paper form, called the Arrival/Exit Protocol. You may remain in the United States during your authorized stay, even if your visa expires during your stay in the United States. Since your entry stamp or paper form I-94 documents your authorized stay and the official record of your permission to reside in the United States, it is very important that you keep your passport.

Most questions are mandatory and must be completed in the appropriate fields. You can omit spaces if the questions are marked as “optional”. You can answer a question with “Not applicable” if this question does not apply to you, but all other questions must be answered. The system does not allow you to submit an application with mandatory questions that remain unanswered. If you do not answer a mandatory question, the system issues an error message and prompts you to answer the question before you continue with the application. If you do not answer any questions relating to your circumstances and/or your travel purpose, the system will not accept your application.

No. The DS-160 online application replaces the DS-156, DS-157, DS-158 and DS-3032, NOTE: In addition to the DS-160, applicants for an Authorised Dealer/Contract Investor Visa must also complete an additional form.

The embassy or consulate where you are actually applying should be able to access your form using the barcode on your DS-160 confirmation page, which you must bring with you for the visa interview. For example, a business traveler intends to apply for a visa at the U.S. Embassy in City X, so he chooses City X as the place where he will apply when he completes his DS-160. He then has an urgent reason to travel to City Y on business. Since there is a U.S. consulate in City Y, he plans an appointment for a visa interview there, using the barcode from his completed DS-160 application for scheduling. The U.S. Consulate in City Y can accept his DS-160, although it lists the U.S. Embassy in City X as where he originally intended to submit his application.

You sign your DS-160 electronically by clicking on the “Sign application” button at the end of the form. Failure to sign may result in termination of the application. Your electronic signature confirms that you have read and understood the questions in the application and that your answers are true and correct to the best of your knowledge and belief. The submission of an application containing false or misleading information may result in permanent visa refusal or refusal of entry into the United States. All declarations made in the application are unsworn declarations made under penalty of perjury.

Unless you are exempt from appearing in person, your fingerprints will be scanned electronically on the day of the interview. By providing your fingerprints, you confirm once again that you have answered all questions about the DS-160 truthfully and to the best of your knowledge and belief and that you will tell the truth during your visa interview. You will be instructed to read the following explanation before having your fingerprints scanned:

“By submitting my fingerprint I confirm under penalty of perjury that I have read and understood the questions in my visa application and that all information in my visa application was provided by me and is true and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Furthermore, I confirm under penalty of perjury that I am telling the truth during my interview and that all statements I have made during my interview are complete to the best of my knowledge and belief”.

If an applicant is illiterate or unable to complete the application, he must be supported by a third party. The third party must be indicated on the “Sign and Submit” page of the application. While the third party can assist the applicant in completing the application, it must instruct the applicant how to support the application in its own name by clicking on the “Sign application” button.

If the applicant is under 16 years of age or is physically unable to complete an application, the parents or guardians of the applicant can complete and click on the “Sign application” button on their behalf. If the applicant has no parent or guardian, the application may be completed by any person having legal custody or a legitimate interest in the applicant.

Explanations of the following terms contained in online form DS-160 are available as help topics while you fill in the DS-160 and are also listed below.

  • Help: Surnames
    Enter all family names (or last names) exactly as they appear in your passport. If there is only one name in your passport, enter it as “last name”.
  • Help: First names
    If your passport does not contain a first or last name, please enter “First name unknown” in the field.
  • Help: Other names
    Surnames used are your maiden name, religious name, profession name or any other name by which you are or were known. Make sure that you enter all the other names you used.  So if you only used a different last name, enter it along with your usual first name. If you have only used a different first name, enter it along with your usual last name.
  • Help: Telecode
    Telecodes are four-digit code numbers representing characters in some non-Roman alphabets.
  • Help: Date of birth
    Enter as indicated in your passport.
  • Help: Birthplace
    Please choose the name of the place where you were born.
  • Help: Phone
    You must enter a primary phone number. The primary phone number should be the number where you can most easily be reached; this can be a landline or a mobile number. If you have an additional landline or mobile number, please enter it as your secondary phone number.
  • Help: identification numbers
    Your national ID number is a unique number that your government may have provided. For example, the U.S. government gives people who want to work or pay taxes a unique number.
  • Help: Other nationality
    Enter all nationalities you currently possess and all nationalities you previously possessed (including the United States, if applicable), regardless of whether you have formally and/or legally given up your nationality. If the country of which you were previously a national no longer exists, select the name of the country currently being used for that place. (For example, if you were a citizen of the former GDR, choose “Germany”.
  • Help: Permanent residence
    Permanent residence is any person who has legally obtained permission from a country/region to live and work in that country/region without a time limit.
  • Help: Passport/travel document number
    Enter the number of the passport or travel document with which you will travel to the United States. This passport/document must still be valid and identify you and your nationality.
  • Help: Passport book number
    The passport book number is generally referred to as the inventory number. You may or may not have a passport book number on your passport. In this case, the position of the passport book number in your passport may vary depending on the country that issued your passport. If you cannot determine whether your passport contains a passport book number, please contact the issuing authority.
  • Help: Expiration date
    In most cases, your passport or travel document must be valid for at least six months after your arrival in the United States.
  • Help: Application receipt/ petition number
    If you are applying for a petition-based visa, your application receipt/petition number was given by the Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) after you submitted your application to a USCIS Service Center. The application receipt number is 13 characters long and the first three characters are letters.
  • Help: Previous employer
    Please enter only information about your two previous employers. Applicants may bring a separate written list of all previous employers for the visa interview.

You can save your application or return to a partially completed application. If you start with a new DS-160, you will receive a unique application identification number (ID) after selecting and answering a security question. Once you have your application ID number and have selected and answered a security question, you can exit the DS-160 application and return to it later. You must have your application ID to return to your application. To save your DS-160 on the Consular Electronic Application Center website, click the “Next” button at the bottom of each page you complete. You have 30 days to return to a partially completed application. To access your application after 30 days, you must store it on your computer’s hard drive or disk.

Saving to disk or floppy disk gives you access to your application after 30 days. To permanently save your application to the hard disk of your computer or a hard disk, select the “Save application to file” button. Then click the “Save” button in the File Download window. Identify a location on your computer to save the application, navigate to that location and click the “Save As” button in the “Save As” window. The system downloads your application to the specified location. Once the download is complete, you can click “Close” to return to the live application on our website. Note: Applications stored on the hard disk of a public or shared computer or storage device are likely accessible to anyone who uses the computer or device after you.

Yes, you can use information from an already submitted DS-160 to fill in some fields in a new form. There are two ways to do this. If you wish to apply for a visa in the future, save your DS-160 to your hard disk or floppy disk using the instructions in the FAQ above. When you apply for your new visa, you can select the option “Option B-Upload a Previously Saved Application” on the “First Steps” page. If your previous visa application was submitted after November 1, 2010, you can also choose “Retrieve option C application”, enter your previous visa application ID and then click on “Create new application”. Your personal data will then be entered into the form. Make sure that all previously submitted information is current and correct.

DS-160 applications submitted before April 1, 2010 cannot be reopened, so you must complete and submit a new DS-160.

  • The embassy or consulate should reopen your DS-160 after April 1, 2010: If your application is rejected for this reason and ask you to correct it as described below:
  • DS-160 applications submitted on or after November 1, 2010: Enter your application ID number and answer additional questions to access and correct your application.
  • DS-160 applications submitted on or after April 1, 2010 but before November 1, 2010: Enter your barcode or confirmation number in the Application ID field and answer additional questions to access and correct your application.

Yes, you can reprint the confirmation page of an application that has already been submitted. To do this, go to the Consular Electronic Application Centre website and select the embassy or consulate where you are applying. Click on “Option C – Get Application” on the “Getting Started” page and enter your application ID number. From there you can view and print out your confirmation page.

Yes, if you choose “Email confirmation” on your confirmation page, you will be redirected to a “Thank you” page. On the “Thank you” page you can create a family or group application. If you choose this option, certain information from your application, such as the destination, is automatically imported into and displayed in a new application. Please note that when using this option, you must create a separate application for each family member or for each person in the group.

That depends. If you are an applicant (E-2), you only need to complete the DS-160. If you are an authorized dealer (E-1) or an executive (E-1 or E-2), you must complete the DS-160 and you or your employer must complete the DS-156E paper form.